Saturday, February 6, 2010

my best friends


I was born five years before my little sister. It made me feel great disdain for this little intruder who was taking over all of my moms time and energy. And to make it worse this little monster cried and made messes. She was a tool.
As she grew it seemed to get worse because her cuteness improved as her crying lessened and she began to speak. One might think when she started to play I would have liked her more, but no she stole my best friend. Who unfortunately thought she made a good toy.
As years turned my little intruder into a teenager I was becoming a young adult. I started to become friends with our mother. Best friends. I still felt a burning Jealousy for my sister and fought so viciously with her that I broke my big toe kicking her and she broke her finger defending herself from me.
slowly however there came a time when we started to talk, to share moments. And we were even in each others wedding. I think the time we spent apart was when we began to grow the closest.
Now that little intruder is one of my best friends. I don't let much more than a day go by without talking to her. We go out to lunch with our other best friend (our mom) and we also go shopping and to museums and other fun adventures.
I am so grateful that my parents had the thought to have this little intruder come into our lives. though there were many bumps and bruises, I am so very Grateful for her now.

3 comments:

Carolynn said...

It is great that mom's, daughters and sister's can be best friends and have fun together.

Emmy said...

It all worked out in the end :) My little sister was four years younger than me, and when I got the age where I was too cool for her I think rather than fighting I mostly ignored her.

Lourie said...

I knew a lot of people from places that I worked who simply couldn't believe I had contact let along was such good friends with my mom and sis. I thought that was sad for them. I am glad in all our wierdness and dysfunctionality that we have stuck together.

Intruder...Pssssh! You are such a brat!