Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Love for All Times

It all started when she was about twelve.  She read a book, then saw a movie.  It was called the Outsiders.  She loved Pony boy, but really loved Johnny played by Ralph Macchio.
  A love affair of devotion and admiration soon began.  As she watched the Outsiders repeatedly until she could recite the dialog verbatim.  She read the book over and over again as she loved the story as well,  She loved the message of the outsiders story, but she actually was wanting to see her Ralph in action over and over again.

After a bit of time there came another movie it was called The Karate Kid.  Now she had a whole new way to enjoy her favorite actor.  He did wax on wax off like no one else could.  and his stance in the eagle kick was one of a kind!  She watched Karate Kid one, two, and three, with me actually, and oddly enough I was about five months pregnant each time.  So I guess I was having a love affair of my own.  Lourie hung pictures of Ralph all over her room.  She found him most delicious.  His boyish looks and hero type rolls made him number one in her eyes.   
     For years a torch was carried and sincere adoration for this guy she didn't even know.  Now grown he showed up on Ugly Betty a show Lourie watches.  I am sure her heart fluttered and she felt a tug when she got to see her old friend.  The part seemed short lived.  But Ralph still played a hero, an honest, kind, person.  And he still has his boyish charm and good looks.


 Oh for the days of the Outsiders.  When Johnny saved the children from the burning fire.  The days of childhood crushes, of loves you thought where real and would last forever.  And if only you could actually meet this guy it would be magic.
    Oh how Ralph was her dream date.  But no more.  She still loves the Outsiders though and passed that love onto her daughter.  Now there is a love that has last forever.

4 comments:

Lourie said...

I can still recite the dialogue. Kristin loves Johnny too. She hasn't seen Karate Kid yet. Ahhh me. :P

Givinya De Elba said...

Aw - the daydreams you build up around actors and characters is so wonderful. Nics pics of a good actor!

Emmy said...

I really want to go read it again now. I remember reading it in junior high and loving it too.

Emmy said...

By the way-sorry I keep missing your phone calls, or have been busy every time you call. I am not a big talking on the phone person.. for some reason the kids start acting crazy whenever I am on the phone... but feel free to e-mail me, I usually respond to those quickly :)